About

Why We Do This

Blues on Barton 5K is a Charity Fundraiser, made possible with the partnership of local sponsors to raise awareness and needed funds toward Brain Cancer research, as well as causes local to the Oswegoland area.

Each year, the Blues on Barton 5K will offer a variety of events to target all walks of life: from athletes, recreational runners, seniors, and children through our kid’s race.  The money raised by the yearly raffle and the proceeds from the 5k run go directly to the supported families each year.

Blues on Barton donates 10% of all proceed to the American Brain Tumor Association.  The remaining 90% is split equally between each supported family or recipient.

Who We Help

2017

McDermott Family
Jenna McDermott and her husband Tim have been Churchill neighborhood residents since 2004. Married for 18 years, the McDermott’s have two daughters, Aleigh (15) and Caitlin (11), and serve as administrative staff in local school districts. Jenna McDermott is the assistant principal of Plank Jr. High. In February, Jenna was diagnosed with Stage IV ovarian cancer. She is scheduled to undergo chemotherapy for the next 18-24 weeks

Lackey Family
Stephanie Lackey and her two sons, Chase (8) and Bentley (7 weeks), have lived in Oswego with husband Ben since 2006. Ben, who Stephanie describes as a devoted husband and father who loved carpentry and cars, died unexpectedly in February of undisclosed causes.

2016

Update: Blues on Barton is proud to announce that in 2016, we raised over $25,000 to help Churchill Families and the American Brain Tumor Association!  $2059 for the American Brain Tumor Society… $8409 for the Siebel family…$8873 for the Sherrell family…and $6402 for the Hartigan’s. The $6400 raised for the Hartigan’s was raised in just under a week. A good chunk, $1500 coming from our anonymous Churchill donor, and another $750 from Tim Meyer and Jenny Meyer who added a bonus amount for every runner that registered during that last week.

Siebel Family
Charles Siebel was killed in December of 2015 when the car he and his daughter were traveling in was struck by a drag racer. He is survived by his wife Julie, son Charles and Daughter Cassidy,

Sherrell FamilySherrell Family Butterfly
Maria Sherrell was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer in July of 2014, and passed in December 2015 at the age of 45. She is survived by her Husband and five children Johnny age 13, Mariah 16, Aaliyah 17, Alex 22 and Vanessa 25.

The Hartigan Family
The Hartigan Family, beneficiaries of the inaugural Blues on Barton 5k Run in 2013, suffered the loss of their Father & Husband, Mark, on July 31, 2016.  With the tragedy happening so close to the Race, we are not able to greatly modify the event without still honoring our commitment to the other two sponsor families.  To that end, all Race registration proceeds, up-to-and-including day-of registrations will go to the Hartigan Family.  Further, we dedicated all PayPal donations for 2016 to them.

2015

In 2015, Blues on Barton raised over $21,000 for Sonja Staelgraeve who was diagnosed with Lung Cancer, and recently had one of her lungs removed; Brittney Nguyen, a single mother of two, who is battling Stage 4 Liver Cancer; and The Ruiz Family, who tragically lost their 8 year old son to a Neuroblastoma in his brain, and who’s eldest son is struggling with Cerebral Palsy.

2014

Blues on Barton raised over $14,000 for Caitlin Christensen who passed from cancer, and for Matt Robbie who is battling Hodgkin’s.

2013

Blues on Barton became an official not-for-profit 501(c)3 Charity Organization and added its first 5k and Kid Fun Run.

Blues on Barton raised over $15,000 for Karing for Kyla.  Kyla suffers from developmental delay, gross motor delay and Atrial Septal Defect and Cerebral Palsy.

2012

Blues on Barton raised over $2500 for The Lederman Family, who’s son was tragically killed in a game of little league baseball.

2011

Blues on Barton raised almost $1500 for Mrs. Engdahl, a Churchill Elementary School teacher who had been diagnosed with ALS.